Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Three Days in the Desert


We started with a 92-mile ride from Barstow, CA to Kelso, CA.  At Barstow, we stayed at a fire station, where the fire fighters generously shared their Girl Scout cookies.  At Kelso, we spent our first night camping... without showers!  The crew made mac and cheese, hot dogs, and s'mores.  It was an amazing meal after a terrible climb at the end of the ride.  It was the type of climb nightmares are made of!


The next day we rode 102 miles from Barstow, CA to Kelso, CA.  I have to admit, at mile 81, I threw the towel in.  I got three flats on my front tire and one flat on my back tire within a one hour span.  I also had toe cramps.  I sound like a huge wimp...   
Kelso, CA (Mojave Desert)
Our expertly set up camp site.  I shared a tent with 3 young guys.
One might call some of them heavy breathers...
 
Mojave Desert!  This was our stopping point in Kelso.

I don't have any pictures from Shoshone.  I think it may be because I called it quits early on the 102-mile day.   I had a slightly bruised ego, but I was much fresher for the 89-mile ride from Shoshone to Las Vegas.  The climb to Las Vegas was tough, but the views going down to the valley were incredible.  
My time in Las Vegas... spent doing laundry

Laundry can be fun with new friends!
 On top of all that, I got to see the Steinmetz clan in Vegas.  I am enjoying my time with my 22 new friends, but there's nothing like time with family.